Quality is of utmost importance when it comes to coding a web application. Here are some tips that will help you find the right people to do the job.
Keep away from sloppy Joes
Not all programmers know how to write code well. Also, all of them do not follow the same coding standards and guidelines. You must lookout for inexperienced programmers who will write sloppy and disorganised code and not consider any possibilities for future growth. Badly written code makes it difficult for other programmers to work on the project.
Also, you must beware of companies that do not follow the standards that a company based out of your country should legally follow. Make sure that they understand the ethical standards that must be adhered to.
A good degree does not translate to quality programming
Just because someone has a master’s degree, it does not mean that the person is a great programmer. Someone can have all the wisdom imparted by books, but it does not guarantee a mind that can solve practical problems.
Prefer clean and consistently written code
Suppose, you have two programmers. They can achieve the same results – one by typing 10 lines of code, while the other by typing only 3 lines.
A programmer can write an SQL Query so abysmally that after five consequent database connections, the SQL server software or the server’s CPU comes to a halt. A good database programmer should be able to write an SQL Query that will produce the same results with the server being able to handle 100 concurrent database connections without going kaput.
What should you ask a prospective web development company?
- Does the code come with proper documentation to allow for migration and scalability?
- Will you have the ownership of the final program code?
- Are there comments used in the code that would provide ease of migration and readability by another developer?
- Can I take the final program code to another development company for future edits and expansion?
- Would there be a copyright issue?
- Do they utilize a structured and web application framework? If yes, ask for additional information on program libraries, tools and the type of framework used. Ask to see a sample of the project’s folder structure with programming files in it.
- What type of security testing and methods are being used to find and fix vulnerabilities?
- What type of quality assurance testing is in place and what methods are being used to do bug testing and fixing?
- Are there coding guidelines and conventions in place? If yes, ask to see the coding guidelines and conventions documentation.
- What type of stress testing and methods are being used to check the site’s scalability and tolerance for large traffic growth?
- Do they use MVC Architecture?